Online Backup Installation and Setup
Xmanonline’s robust Online Backup system is easy to get up and running. The whole setup should only take about 15 minutes — after that your backups will be completely automated. Just set it and forget it!
Please follow the directions below, or view the following flash tutorials:
- Go to the xmanonline Home Page and click on Online Backup in the Login navigation menu in the center of the page.
- Enter your Online Backup login name and password and click Login.
- In the top left-hand corner, click on Install Software.
- In the pop-up window that appears, click on the icon representing you operating system, under the heading ‘Select Your Operating System.’
- Check to make sure your computer meets the System Requirements. (Note for Mac users: Your standard system installation includes “Apple Java2″ so it should already be installed.)
- Click on Download xmanonline Online Backup.
- Save the file to your computer.
Note: The diagrams below are based on the Windows XP version. Your diagrams may differ if you have a different operating system, but the process should be similar.
- Double-click on the backup icon on your desktop. Select your preferred language and click OK.
- The Welcome screen will appear. Please click Next.
- Review the license agreement and if you agree, please click the button next to “I accept the agreement” and click Next.
- Review the folder that has been selected for the software location. Unless you have specific requirements, simply click Next.
- Unless you want to only allow yourself to be able to access the backup software on your computer, leave the button selected as “Anyone who uses this computer” and click Next.
- Click Install.
- The installation process will now occur.
- When the installation is complete, click Finish to launch the software.
- The following screen will appear. Please enter in the username and password given to you in the initial email from us upon sign up and click OK.
In this section you will set up your Backup Set(s). These are groups of files that you select to be backed up. The simplest way to set it up is to use one Backup Set and have all your files backed up on the same schedule. But you may want to back up some folders on your computer more frequently than others. If this is the case, you can create multiple Backup Sets and adjust the frequency for each. Only back up the files you need to, because the more files you back up, the quicker you will use up your allotted storage space on the server.
Please note: The first time your backup runs, it will take a long time, but don’t worry — the subsequent backups will be much quicker.
- Launch your Online Backup software (if it’s not open already). The Backup Wizard will guide you through the set up process.
- Type in a name for your backup set. Leave the type as ‘File Backup’ unless you have databases to back up, and click Next.
- Check your email client (if applicable) and then click the Advanced button.
- You will now be able to select any combination of files / folders that you require for your backup. Select (or double-click) a folder on the left to view the files inside it on the right. Generally, your critical files will be located inside your User folder (the folder title is usually your name, and it’s inside the “Users” or “Documents and Settings” folder). The folders you may want to back up include:
- Email (Windows users should be able to select ‘Outlook’ or ‘Outlook Express’ from the main file list. Mac Mail files are in the UserName > Library>Mail folder. If you use an online mail service like Gmail, you don’t need to worry about this.)
Once done, click ‘OK’.
- Now you will need to configure when you want your backups to occur. Click Properties.
- You can make the following selections. When finished, click OK:
- Type (frequency) – Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Custom
- Start – The time of day you wish your backup to start (if you wish to back up more than once a day, click on “At” in the drop-down menu and change it to “Periodically”).
- Stop – generally leave as is (Stop on completion)
- When finished, you should be alerted that your ‘Backup Set created successfully’.
- To close the Online Backup software, click Quit in the top right-hand corner, and then when prompted ‘Save backup settings to backup server’ click Yes.
Congratulations. You have configured your Online Backup software. Please note: The first time your backup runs, it may take a while. So you will probably want to run it while you are sleeping. Subsequent backups will be much shorter. If you need to make changes to your Backup Set Properties, launch your software and click the Settings (gear icon) in the lower-left corner.
You should receive an email notice every time your backup runs successfully. If you receive any error messages, see our article on “Trouble-shooting Online Backup.”