How to Set Up Your Email Address with Outlook 2007
Once you have set up a custom email address, you can then configure your desktop email software to automatically download the email that comes to that address. Using email software, like Microsoft Outlook, gives you many advantages over using the online Webmail interface, including advanced filtering and sorting of emails, as well as the ability to read and type emails while offline.
This particular article focuses on Microsoft Outlook 2007 — see the bottom of this article for links to instructions for other email programs or other Outlook versions.
To set up your email account, follow the steps below, or click here for a step-by-step online video tutorial (but read step 6 below first so that you know if you want a POP3 or IMAP account type): http://www.xmanonline.com.au/tutorial/email/email-auth_outlook2007.html
- Open Microsoft Outlook, click on the Tools > Account Settings.
- On the Email tab, click New.
- Enter your name, email address and password. The email address and password must match the email account set up in your web hosting Control Panel (either by yourself or by xmanonline support staff). See the links at the bottom of this article if you have not set up your email account yet, or you can’t remember your email address and/or password.
- Click the box labeled “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” and then click Next.
- Ensure that the Internet Email option is selected, then click Next.
- Under “Account Type” select “POP3” from the drop-down menu if you will only be checking mail from one computer, or select “IMAP” if you wish to check your mail from multiple computers and/or a smartphone (see this article on Syncing Your Email for more information).
- Enter your Incoming mail and Outgoing mail server settings. This normally is in the form of “mail.yourdomain.com”. So if your domain name was “abcxyz.com” then you would put “mail.abcxyz.com” (without the quotes) in both the incoming and outgoing boxes. Under “Logon Information”, enter your email address and password one more time. Be sure the Remember password box is checked.
- Click More Settings, click the Outgoing Server tab, and check the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”. Be sure the “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” option is selected, then click OK. This takes you back to the screen you were on before, and you can click Next.
- The set up is complete. You should see a message that says “Congratulations!”. Click Finish and then test your new account by sending a test email to a friend and asking them to email you back.
- Repeat these steps on any other computer you wish to sync this email address with.
The following articles may also be of interest to you:
* How to Sync Your Email with Multiple Computers or Smartphones
* How to Create an Email Address Using Your Control Panel
* How to Recover Your Email Address or Password [coming soon]
* For a complete list of email setup tutorials for many different email software programs and versions, please click here: http://xmanonline.com.au/index.php?page=tutorials_email